New websites and websites that do not need a lot of hosting resources opt for Shared Hosting due to its shared architecture, resultant affordability, and easy maintenance. However, with time, a growing website will outgrow the benefits of the Shared Server. It is then that the owner looks out for a hosting upgradation that can handle the rising inflow of traffic. Moreover, if you are running an e-commerce website, the need for resource intensiveness and advanced security can compel you to venture out in the hosting foray. The most common options available for your hosting upgrade are VPS, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting. In this blog, we will analyze the major differences between the two popular hosting solutions – Dedicated Servers and VPS Hosting.
Before moving on to discussing the major differences between the two, let us first understand their underlying mechanism.
What is a Dedicated Server?
A Dedicated Server, as the name suggests, is a type of hosting where the entire server is dedicated to a single client. All the resources of the server like bandwidth, CPU and memory are allocated to the use of the single client. It is apt for websites that experience a high volume of visitors. However, one major downside of the Dedicated Server is that the cost of purchasing an entire server may not be affordable to many.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS Hosting makes use of the virtualization principle by splitting the resources of the server into multiple virtual machines. Each virtualized environment is connected with the server using an application called a hypervisor. Due to account isolation in VPS Servers, the resource allocation is guaranteed, and the performance of every virtual server is independent of the other websites. Good VPS Hosting providers offer full root access that allows the user complete access over the server configuration. Thus, VPS Hosting is truly an upgrade over Shared Hosting.
VPS Hosting vs. Dedicated Hosting
- Architecture: In a way, VPS Hosting can be considered as the affordable version of Dedicated Hosting. It mimics the environment of a Dedicated Server on a smaller scale. A virtual server in a VPS gets fixed allocated resources which can be utilized by the client in an isolated environment. On the other hand, in a Dedicated Server, an entire physical server is purchased by a single client and is used dedicatedly for their purpose.
- Resource Allocation: The resources of the physical server are split into multiple virtual environments in case of a VPS Server. Each of these environments works in isolation, and the communication between the virtual server and the physical server is achieved through hypervisors. In case of a Dedicated Server, a single user is allocated all the resources of the entire server. Thus, a user can have a large number of resources at his/her disposal.
- Website Performance: Google has included website performance, including site speed and user experience, as one of the most important factors in its SEO algorithm. With VPS, you get the allocated amount of resources which can help your website load quickly and consequently improve user experience. Dedicated Server is considered one of the best solutions for website hosting in terms of performance. With a Dedicated Server at your disposal, you may never have to worry about sharing the resources. Thus, Dedicated Hosting guarantees optimum performance and high page load speeds.
- Security: Security remains a major concern for most website owners, especially for those who store personal information of the user, such as an e-commerce website storing credit card details. In terms of security, both the hosting options offer a high level of security as both of them provide private or isolated server space for their clients. Also, with root access available on both, any security feature can be installed on the server that can act as an iron-clad barrier against cyber threats.
However, the shared nature of VPS Servers can be a deterrent for many security-conscious users. Alternatively, a Dedicated Server is a perfect choice for websites that hinge on complete privacy and advanced security.
- Configuration and customization: Both the hosting solutions give complete root access to the user, meaning they can tweak the server to their advantage. However, this may require prior technical knowledge of playing around with the server as any misadventure can lead to locking out of your website. This issue can be easily resolved by taking the managed plan options which come with both the hosting types. With a managed plan, all the major technical responsibilities are the prerogative of the hosting provider, leaving you to focus on other aspects of your business.
- Suitability and cost: VPS Hosting is a natural upgradation from the Shared Hosting plan when your website outgrows the benefits offered by a Shared Server. It is a pocket-friendly option for people who require more resources for their website without costing them a fortune. On the other hand, the Dedicated Server is a pricey option and is more suitable for people who have a resource-intensive, already-established business website. However, managing a Dedicated Server may also add-up some cost for your business.
If you are someone looking for an upgrade from a Shared Hosting plan, then you may be looking at an option between VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server. The VPS Hosting vs Dedicated Server is a never-ending debate. However, it all comes down to your website’s specific requirements. If you are looking for a hosting solution that gives you robust performance and reliability without having to put a big hole in your pocket, then VPS Hosting may be a good option. At HostGator India, our VPS plans come equipped with a user-friendly cPanel and instant provisioning of resources. We also provide full root access so that you can install the operating system of your choice.
To know more about the SSD-powered Dedicated Servers and VPS Hosting, leave a comment below or contact us!