If you are someone who has their website hosted on a shared server and have been experiencing website downtime frequently, then it may be the right time to make the switch to VPS Hosting. Depending on the provider, Shared Hosting might have certain limitations and is not well suited to handle resource-intensive websites. Also, it may falter while handling an enormous volume of traffic as the resources of a Shared Server are used by multiple websites. VPS Hosting is considered by many as a natural upgrade from Shared Hosting, as it provides dedicated resources for your website without making a hole in your pocket.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS Hosting works on the principle of virtualization by splitting the resources of a server into multiple virtual machines. The workings of each virtual server are controlled through an application known as a hypervisor. Each virtual server works in isolation and does not interfere with other servers. You get complete control over the resources and can install any applications, including the operating system, as per your desires. It is well suited for people who are looking for a midway solution between a Shared and Dedicated Server. As you get full root access in VPS, it may require some technical knowledge to maintain and configure the server.
However, not many are well versed with the technicalities of the server, and thus VPS Hosting is bifurcated into two types – Managed and Unmanaged VPS. Much of the bifurcation is dependent on the partition of responsibility between the client and the hosting provider.
What is Managed VPS Hosting?
With a Managed Hosting plan, the provider takes care of all the major tasks of the backend such as maintenance of the server, installation and upgradation of applications, and major security monitoring. Managed VPS Hosting is wherein all the major responsibilities related to the server are the provider’s prerogative. This is the best solution for people who do not have any prior knowledge of configuring a server or for someone who does not want to spend much time dealing with these issues. This takes a huge chunk of the workload away from the client who can concentrate on other aspects of their business. Some of the functions which are taken care of by the hosting provider include server configuration, software installation, addressing security concerns and technical support.
Benefits of Managed VPS Hosting
- Increased Reliability: When you opt for the Managed VPS plan, it is the responsibility of the provider to keep your server available for the website all the time. As each of the virtual private servers works in a silo and are independent of each other, the resources allotted for each server are not shared with other websites. Unlike Shared Hosting, where the activities of a single website may have a direct impact on all websites, the VPS Server is better equipped in handling traffic spikes without succumbing to the load. This ensures higher availability of the server for your website leading to better uptime score.
- Optimized performance: With Managed VPS plan, the hosting provider makes sure that your server is in optimum condition. As you get dedicated resources for your website, the performance of the server is not hampered, eventually improving the page loading time. The importance of site speed cannot be understated. With its inclusion in the SEO algorithm and a direct impact on enhancing user experience, website speed has come to the fore of the webmasters’ discussions.
- Better Security: Security remains a major concern for website owners, as the numbers of cybersecurity threats increase day by day. One issue with Shared Hosting is that all the websites on the same server share a single IP address. Whenever there is a security compromise of a single website, the threat of all websites getting affected looms large. On the other hand, every single virtual environment of the VPS plan has a unique IP address, and the security of other websites does not affect your website. A Managed VPS Hosting provider makes sure to install and update security patches from time-to-time to maintain an iron-clad against cybersecurity threats.
- Greater Control: VPS Hosting gives you complete root access to the server. You can install the operating system and other applications of your choice. However, it may require technical knowledge, and there is a risk of getting locked out of your server access. For such people, it is advisable to opt for the Managed VPS Hosting plan by handing over the major responsibilities to the hosting provider. However, the ultimate authority of the server is still left to the client.
- Customer support: With a Managed VPS plan, the hosting provider is completely responsible for the management of the server, thereby ensuring a more dedicated technical support. Depending on the service provider, you might also have dedicated personnel to attend to your every need.
The debate of Managed VPS vs Unmanaged VPS can go on. However, what is most important is to understand your requirement and then decide on choosing one. At HostGator, our Managed VPS Hosting plans offer complete root access to your server with an integrated user-friendly cPanel. We also offer seamless scalability so that you can scale up your resources as per your requirement. The robust environment provides high reliability and security for your website. Do let us know your experience with VPS Server and its impact on your website in the comments section below!
To know more about the other web hosting categories and to choose the right option for your business, visit our Hosting Blogs Category.